Cora Dyce

Welcome to our website !
Please register an account to view the complete categories and forums.

Cora Dyce - Your personal dicing clan

Cora Prose Competition I - Community Event - Competition Thread.

Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Cora Prose Competition I - Community Event - Competition Thread.

Post by Nr on 2015-01-28, 14:32

Competition summary

Each round the participants will get a topic and genre to write a short story about. The topic is related to Cora Dyce meta while the genre can range from comedy to drama to sci-fi and so on.

The main purpose of the competition is to keep the forums lively and strengthen the community.

Prizepool

The prizepool is currently 42m and will be divided:

#1: 35m
    #2: 7m

Funded by

Nr 32m
    Inva 8m
    Pants 2m

Instructions for participants

* Short stories. Don't make it so long it would require a tl;dr. A 500 word cap is a reasonable one to have in mind, but don't be afraid to go over it if necessary.
    * Read both the topic and genre through carefully to make sure you get the point.

After the round has been published on this thread the participants will have a set amount of time to forum PM me the entry. If you don't make the deadline you'll be disqualified.

Point division

Entries will be ranked: Member 1's story gets 10 points, Member 2's 9 points, Member 3's 8 points and so forth. Paul is currently co-hosting the event with me and is rating the entries alongside me. With both Paul and I rating the entries, for a round with 10 being the highest score, you can get a maximum of 20 points each round.

Each round the person with the lowest point score will drop out. In the case of a tie, we'll use random.org. Yes, really. Wink

The points will add up and carry over to the next rounds.

Information on specific rounds and their points division

Changed due to low number of entries.

Round 1 - 14 people (5 who sent entry on time) will drop to 4. Points are distributed: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
    Round 2 - 4 people will drop to 3. Points are distributed: 10, 8, 6, 4.
    Round 3 - 3 people will drop to 2. Points are distributed: 12, 10, 8.
    Final - The points are reset. First and second place are decided by a public vote.

If there are any changes, this post will be edited.

Have fun everyone -- and find the writer within you! This is actually really good practice for writing. Everyone is encouraged to read and comment and keep this thread lively with discussions and comments!

Last edited by Nr on 2015-01-31, 17:22; edited 4 times in total
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

List of participants

Post by Nr on 2015-01-28, 14:36

List of Participants

1. Slash
    2. Inva
    3. Allen
    4. Lord Abigor
    5. Majed
    Joe
    Rand
    Warriors
    Phat4tw
    Mirador
    Majed
    Andrew
    KSHMR
    Icy
    Boofz

Last edited by Nr on 2015-02-01, 00:59; edited 3 times in total
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Current round

Post by Nr on 2015-01-28, 14:41

Current round - Round 2

Topic: In one universe, the action James takes leads to him getting banned from Cora Dyce. In the alternate universe, he acts differently and doesn't get banned.

Genre: Science-Fiction

Considering the topic and theme were poorly done in the entries last round, I was thinking of adding extra description for more clarification. However the topic is pretty cut and dry this time and all it should take is reading through it carefully. In the same way there's more space to operate here with the genre as the premise is what turns into science-fiction, whatever direction is taken with the story.

The deadline was originally 48 hours, but was extended another 21 hours with a minor adjustment to the topic. The deadline is Monday 3rd of January 21:00 GMT. Good luck!

Last edited by Nr on 2015-02-02, 18:23; edited 3 times in total
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Previous rounds

Post by Nr on 2015-01-28, 14:41

Round 1

Round 1:

Topic: Outplaying the current leadership, LTU rises to second in command at Cora Dyce.

Genre: Political Thriller

The participants had 48 hours to send in their entry. The deadline was Friday 30th of January 14:00 GMT.

Round 1 entries

5 out of 14 people who signed up submitted their entry by the deadline.

Allen wrote:The Big Bang Theory of Cora Dyce. How can something so geophysically complex
    be applied to a single person? Right. That's what I was asking myself at the time
    too. Zodz had exploded in a fiery blast that left remanants of sun glasses,
    poker chips, and, of course, dental equipment. Everybody was shell shocked for
    the first day. How could the person who was single-handedly responsible for
    most of the progress in Cora implode in such an odd fashion? Perhaps, it was a sign.
    Yeah, it most likely was. His death was evident, the future of Cora was not.
    Despite all this, there was a humming tune in the background of all the chaos
    that made everybody calm. At ease. The first time, as a clan, we could say that we didn't
    need to do extensive giveaways. We didn't need to promote. We were where we wanted to be.
    Those words were: "That ugly stupid Moe...". Calming indeed. LTU stepped up and took Zodz's
    position as administrator, a position that is much like wearing the ring of stone. It makes
    you rigid, ignant, and without basic communication/comprehension skills. LTU got to the platform
    that was the announcement sections and said

"Bars". Tears, joy, excitement.

Lord Abigor wrote:Friday,19th May 2015: CoraDyce has become the worst clan in the world because of their ranks. LTU who was a veteran in Coradyce has been promoted by the owner to become the second in command at Coradyce after the admin of coradyce has been killed a week before. Unfortunately,half of the Coradycers member were against him because they knew that the admin was brutally killed by LTU. The ex-admin of Coradyce was the best admin the community ever had, and when hes dead, the coradyce goes down. Last week, the admin found was found at a lake near Lumbridge after 3 hours of searching throughout Gielinor. Based of the forensics officer,Rand, he said that the admin were shot, sliced and his cock were missing. The mystery hasnt solved yet who killed the admin but from what the Coradycers member said, LTU is Jason which killed many people on FRIDAY THE 13th!  affraid  affraid  affraid

Inva wrote:It was one early Saturday morning, I hadn’t slept well. My mIRC had been getting spammed the entire night, waking up every 15 minutes hearing the loud *beep* *beep* *beep*. Finally when I made the big decision to see who it was spamming me. Not to my surprise it was Slash, just the usual. I instantly suspected the topic to be about Zodz, something he had done or was about to do. But, not this time. All he mustered up to say to me was, ‘WTF’ and ‘LTU?’. Within a few seconds I was already on the forums expecting to see something that would in-definitely lower my already low IQ. But this time it was different, I hadn’t seen the forums this active since mid-2012. I then progressed to see a thread that had been made by LTU and then made global by Andy. Not being able to understand about 90% of it, like many others with the incredibly amazing show of English language used. Out of the little snippets that I was able to understand, it had seemed that Andy had given LTU a Co-Owner position to look after a staking clan side of Cora dyce. LTU had also mentioned somewhere that Andy said he would receive/start his position, tomorrow.

Slash wrote:It was another regular, drama filled day in Cora. James and Rand having love sessions, Zodz being Zodz, and LTU making his preposterous posts. The whole clan thought of his posts to be absurd, but there was one particular individual who was impressed by the words of LTU: Andy. Paying no attention to everyone else, Andy had a thing for LTU. LTU being the cunning little rascal, he is, noticed that Andy was head over heels for him. He played this to his advantage. He sent love poems to Andy every day over the forum, bribed him with Runite ores, and even offered to make a new website. Andy also didn't like Moe, so LTU did Andy's dirty work for him by saying shit like "you stupid, ugly Moe." LTU also knew about Zodz being the weakest link. Andy kept quiet about his relationship with LTU, but it was only a matter of time before he broke out of the closet. The day was no longer regular. LTU sneaked over to Andy's house and attacked him (sexually), he went for the neck. Andy couldn't take it anymore. ANDY LET IT ALL OUT. HE DIDN'T EVEN THINK ONCE OF HOLDING BACK. CLOSETS BREAKING. ZODZ DE-RANKED. MOE KICKED OUT OF CORA-DYCE. ZODZ LOSES ADMIN STATUS. LTU IS THE NEW ADMIN OF CORAAAA DYYYYCEEEE!

Almost the entire community went into a coma after hearing the news. Yes a mother fucking coma.
    What happened when they awoke? Well i'll leave that to you, wouldn't want to make this tl;dr.

Let's just say that Zodz' derank was the best thing to happen to Cora.
    Even though it became a little weird around, with Andy and LTU working together, it was 'worth'.

Majed wrote:This was unexpected turn of events in Cora Dyce. LTU as a leader?, what happened?, as this young journalist willing to bring some answers from this random person in cora dyce,
    Mohammed: Hello Majed, I am from this **** TV
    Majed: LOOOOOL u r an arab, Marhaba brother. (Marhaba=hi)
    Mohammed: ahahah yeah...a bit off topic, tell me about the events that happened making LTU a leader.
    Majed: Fucking madness man, LTU as a leader?, I actually don't know, I was inactive.
    Mohammed: ...
    Majed: ahahah but I know some things that happened
    Mohammed: but you said you don't know..., okay.. tell us
    Majed: stfu,  Everyone knows Andy is a cunt, so it is actually not surprising, he gave "owner privileges" to LTU in mistake somehow, I don't even know how, I didn't think it was possible, it is not actually, but let's just finish the story ffs, that's what happened anyways.
    Mohammed: Is that it?, I thought there would be some kind of a new clan, or new elections or a rebellious community.
    Majed: mate this is not Egypt, some arab spring shit you're on, it's a virtual game you fucking moron.
    Mohammed: No need for insults
    Majed: no need to be a fuckwit m8.
    Mohammed: K.
    Majed: K.

Nr's votes

Imo all of the entries were really weak for one reason or the other, apart from maybe Slash's. It was either the writing or missing the topic and genre.. or both. Maybe for the next rounds there should be a more in depth explanation on the topic and genre, but still suprising as I'm pretty damn sure it was obvious if read clearly enough.

Slash - 5 points - The only entry that managed to capture the political thriller theme decently. Despite lacking anything impressive in the writing or any unique scenario on how LTU would rise to power, it was solid enough. Suprisingly, too solid for the rest of the entries that just missed the mark entirely.

Inva - 4 points - Promising start that imo actually got the the tone of political thriller right with some good meta-references in there. Unfortunately ruined by the lack of explanation for LTU's rise to power, him achieving something that technically was not "second in command" as the topic required and the final line turning it all into comedy genre.

Allen - 3 points - Despite the comedic and overall writing highlights that were clearly present, the topic and genre were ignored without an explanation of how LTU rose to power and the lack of explanation on Zodz's demise.

Lord Abigor - 2 points - An uneven mess of a news reportage, horror which apparently takes place in Friday The 13th universe and severed cocks. The only positive thing to possibly say is that he got some of the topic right. However, it simply isn't enough as LTU's rise to power isn't explained by it at all. It's simply an graphic prose slaughtering of Zodz...

Majed - 1 point - My vote for who would drop out goes to Majed, because along with completely ignoring the topic and turning the genre into full blown comedy, it looks like it was put together in 2 minutes, which it probably was. The most important political aspects and LTU outplaying the leadership instead ended up with Andy accidentally giving LTU the permissions. Way off the mark.

Paul's votes

5 goes to Inva. I thought it was a bit funny and realistic too. The same thing probably would have happened if LTU came to power, hehe.

4 goes to Slash. Okay story but it could definitely been improved. There was a plot - yay! - but again I felt like you could've been more creative.

3 goes to Allen. I like your references and I understood all of them! Razz However I felt like you didn't really stay with the topic and explain much. Felt like just a bunch of references strung together.

2 goes to Majed. Sad. I had hoped your story would be better but it turned out to just be a dialogue between you and someone who's dead...no background story, no introduction, no conclusion either. Unless you count "K." as an appropriate conclusion. You also got the part where LTU was the leader wrong (actually 2nd in command) but my score still stands.

1 goes to Lord Abigor. The plot was mediocre at best, what with the ex-admin's "cock were missing." Other than that your story was difficult to follow and I didn't understand most of it. It sounded more like a news article. I don't usually take off points for grammER usage but there were just so many mistakes and such...yeah. Sorry!

Overall the stories were okay but not great. I feel like ALL of you could have done much better if you had tried. Would have been great to know what things LTU did as an admin, not just HOW he came to power. Inva and Slash were very close...tough decision.

Score

Ok -- points added together for Round 1 are:

1. Slash 9
    2. Inva 9
    3. Allen 6
    4. Abigor 3
    5. Majed 3

As the last place is tied, who drops out will be randomly generated:

Sorry, Majed. Sad

Last edited by Nr on 2015-02-01, 00:51; edited 1 time in total
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Re: Cora Prose Competition I - Community Event - Competition Thread.

Post by Nr on 2015-01-28, 14:42

Reserved.
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Post by Nr on 2015-01-28, 14:46

You may now post. Round 1 is up:

Round 1

Topic: Outplaying the current leadership, LTU rises to second in command at Cora Dyce.

Genre: Political Thriller

The participants have 48 hours to forum PM me their entry. The deadline is Friday 30th of January 14:00 GMT.

Good luck and don't forget to discuss the round on the thread as well!
    Rand al'Thor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Rand al'Thor on 2015-01-28, 18:58

How short is short? Cos some people like Zodz tl;dr after one sentence.
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Post by Slash on 2015-01-28, 19:04

Rand al'Thor wrote:How short is short? Cos some people like Zodz tl;dr after one sentence.

Vouch, I feel sorry for those people tbh.

Nr, can you set a limit of sentences/words?

By Shygodd <3
    Lel:

Zodz
    General
    General

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll: 12

Post by Zodz on 2015-01-28, 19:05

Rand al'Thor wrote:How short is short? Cos some people like Zodz tl;dr after one sentence.

Oh, look! he's right!

[12:13] <@Zodz> i like prose that project a lot of thoughts/emotion minimally
    [12:13] <@Inva> sorry
    [12:13] <@Inva> i did year 12 p.e
    [12:13] <@Inva> used to bones
    [12:13] <@Inva> not long words
    [12:13] <Boofz> Zodz are you going to be in the tourney?
    [12:13] <+Nr> +1 to Zodz.
    [12:14] <@Zodz> unfortunately not
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Post by Slash on 2015-01-28, 19:06

Zodz wrote:

Oh, look! he's right!

Your heavily edited logs are not appreciated.

By Shygodd <3
    Lel:

Zodz
    General
    General

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll: 12

Post by Zodz on 2015-01-28, 19:07

Slash wrote:
    Zodz wrote:

Oh, look! he's right!

Those logs are verbatim
    Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Post by Nr on 2015-01-28, 19:09

I'm sorry, you lost me after "short?".

Less than 500 words, I'd say.
    Joe
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Joe on 2015-01-28, 19:11

Zodz wrote:
    Slash wrote:
    Zodz wrote:

Oh, look! he's right!

Those logs are verbatim

do you ever think you're wrong?
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Post by Slash on 2015-01-28, 19:11

Zodz wrote:
    Slash wrote:
    Zodz wrote:

Oh, look! he's right!

Those logs are verbatim

By Shygodd <3
    Lel:

Rand al'Thor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Rand al'Thor on 2015-01-28, 19:13

Slash wrote:
    Zodz wrote:
    Slash wrote:
    Zodz wrote:

Oh, look! he's right!

Those logs are verbatim

You've forgotten the indoor sunglasses.

~

Ty, Nr.
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Post by Slash on 2015-01-28, 19:39

sent mine in.

In another news, Zodz doesn't even understand jokes when you're quoting him.

By Shygodd <3
    Lel:

Rand al'Thor
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Rand al'Thor on 2015-01-28, 19:51

Slash wrote:sent mine in.
    wtf

Are you one of those who does all the homework the night it's set?
    Slash
    Global Mod
    Global Mod

Post by Slash on 2015-01-28, 19:54

Rand al'Thor wrote:
    Slash wrote:sent mine in.
    wtf

Are you one of those who does all the homework the night it's set?

Yeah but also the one who gets an F.

By Shygodd <3
    Lel:

aquatic girl

Post by aquatic girl on 2015-01-28, 20:25

Can I join tourney?
    Joe
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Joe on 2015-01-28, 21:48

Rand al'Thor wrote:
    Slash wrote:
    Zodz wrote:
    Slash wrote:
    Zodz wrote:

Oh, look! he's right!

Those logs are verbatim

You've forgotten the indoor sunglasses.

~

Ty, Nr.

cool ppl wear sunglasses indoors.

Nr
    Honorary Member
    Honorary Member

Post by Nr on 2015-01-28, 22:10

aquatic girl wrote:Can I join tourney?

Sorry, signups ended. Sad
    James
    VIP
    VIP

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by James on 2015-01-28, 22:57

why can't I take over Cora Sad

Gl everyone
    Luke
    Admin
    Admin

Dices Rolls
    Dice Roll:

Post by Luke on 2015-01-29, 00:19

Nr wrote:

I'm sorry, you lost me after "short?".

Less than 500 words, I'd say.
    I ain't even written 500 words in my life, i swear.

The Uzumaki
    VIP
    VIP

Post by The Uzumaki on 2015-01-29, 04:54

uhhh unfortunately I won't be able to do it, so it'll be all majed instead of us as a team, so you could remove my name
    Allen1

Post by Allen1 on 2015-01-29, 04:58

Wtf nobody has time to read all these entries. Nr, just make it like haiku style?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2017-11-19, 01:53